This episode with Khe Hy, founder of RadReads, is a conversation that goes beyond the usual topics of content, SEO, marketing, and tech. He discussed his journey of founding RadReads, his transition from Wall Street to being a full-time creator, and his tips on productivity.
Khe spent 15 years working on Wall Street and was one of the youngest Managing Directors at BlackRock. He’s been called Oprah for Millennials by CNN and the Wall Street Guru by Bloomberg and his work has been featured in the Wall Street Journal, TedX, Barrons, Time Magazine, and Quartz.
Khe also delved into introspection, questioning narratives, and the impact of coaching and emphasized the importance of self-reflection, personal freedom, and exploring deeper emotions.
- RadReads and Living an Examined Life
- Understanding business games
- The tension of breaking societal narratives
- The discomfort of pain-based marketing in self-improvement content
- Authenticity and the “Oprah for Millennials” Label
- The power of luck and good timing
- The four quadrants of work
- Reframing tasks as dollar values
- The game of real human connection
- Questioning societal narratives
- The Pivotal Moment and Trade-Off
- The psychology of freedom
- Uncovering inner thoughts and feelings
- Carrying grief and its impact on actions
- The fallacy of the grass always being greener
- Visit RadReads and listen to their podcast
- Connect with Khe Hy on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Connect with David Khim on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Connect with Omniscient Digital on LinkedIn or Twitter
- Supercharge Your Productivity Course
- The magic of doing $10,000 per hour work
- The $645,099 business pivot
- Book: When Things Fall Apart
- The Work of Your Life | Khe Hy | #88 Reboot Podcast
Listen to the podcast:
[00:06:47] RadReads and Living an Examined Life
Talks about RadReads, a platform that helps people live intentional and joyful lives, discussing the topics covered and the approach taken to explore deeper questions.
[00:11:21] Understanding Business Games
Talks about their focus on work ethic, relationships, and leadership to succeed in their career on Wall Street.
[00:18:10] The Tension of Breaking Societal Narratives
Exploring the idea of breaking out of the societal narrative and challenging assumptions about career choices and personal fulfillment.
[00:25:48] The Discomfort of Pain-Based Marketing in Self-Improvement Content
Discussing the challenges of selling info products in the realm of self-improvement, and the discomfort of using pain-based marketing techniques to sell courses and ebooks.
[00:33:06] Authenticity and the “Oprah for Millennials” Label
Exploration of how the label “Oprah for Millennials” came about and the mixed feelings associated with it.
[00:36:47] The Power of Luck and Good Timing
Luck and good timing played a significant role in the success of a photo shoot and the release of a feel-good story.
[00:42:40] The Four Quadrants of Work
Understanding the four quadrants of work (10-dollar, 100-dollar, 1000-dollar, and 10,000-dollar work) and finding the right mix for productivity and impact.
[00:46:15] Reframing Tasks as Dollar Values
Discussion on the importance of reframing tasks as dollar values and how it helps prioritize work effectively.
[00:54:49] The Game of Real Human Connection
Discussion about the desire for genuine human connection and the potential for events and gatherings to facilitate this.
[01:00:07] Questioning Societal Narratives
Encouragement to challenge societal scripts and norms, giving oneself permission to explore alternative paths and beliefs.
[01:04:41] The Pivotal Moment and Trade-Off
Discuss a pivotal moment where they could have taken VC funding for their business but chose not to, reflecting on the trade-off between financial success and personal values.
[01:13:20] The Psychology of Freedom
Discussion on true freedom and how it is related to unshackling oneself from negative thoughts and beliefs.
[01:14:59] Uncovering Inner Thoughts and Feelings
Explanation of how coaching practices help surface and examine underlying emotions and beliefs that affect daily actions and decisions.
[01:22:49] Carrying Grief and Its Impact on Actions
Discussion on how carrying grief tightly can blind one to everything else and how it impacts actions.
[01:29:21] The Fallacy of the Grass Always Being Greener
Insight into the downsides of pursuing what one thinks they want and the trade-offs involved.